Molds are tiny, microscopic fungi that reproduce by forming spores. These spores, when airborne, are hard to filter out and can be inhaled. Most molds are not hazardous to healthy people. However, too much exposure to certain molds may cause or worsen conditions such as asthma, hay fever, and allergies.
Common symptoms of mold inhalation are:
- coughing / wheezing
- Runny Nose/Sinus Problems
- Hypersensitivity, Pneumonitis, and Asthma.
Helpful Mold Tips for Homes and Apartments:
- Keep the humidity low within your dwelling;
- Use air conditioning or a dehumidifier when possible;
- Always promote or allow for adequate ventilation;
- Do not use humidifiers;
- Clean walls regularly and add mold inhibitor to paint;
- Limit house plants - they can be pollen carriers;
- Avoid foam rubber and feather pillows;
- Decrease dust exposure by minimizing the number of books and magazines;
- Vacuum carpets regularly or better yet keep your floors bare;
- Install an exhaust fan in each bathroom - if this is not possible, be sure to open the windows regularly;
- Be sure to vent your clothes dryer to the outdoors;
What to do for a mold problem:
The best way to treat mold is to correct the underlying cause of the mold, so that it does not return. Typically, mold grows in moist environments, and is often caused by water damage that may be unknown to a homeowner. You can print these helpful mold tips for homes and apartments.
To remove mold growth from hard surfaces use commercial products, soap and water, or a bleach solution of no more than 1 cup of bleach in 1 gallon of water.
Indoor Air Quality Testing
Below you will find a list of indoor air quality testing companies in Southern Indiana. The list is provided as a public service, however, the Floyd County Health Department does not in any way endorse or recommend any company for any service they provide.
Indoor Air Quality Testing Companies:
Astbury Environmental Engineering, Inc. Spore°Tech Mold Investigations
5645 W. 79th St. P.O. Box 58351
Indianapolis, IN 46278 Louisville, KY 40268
Phone: (317) 472-0999 Phone: (502) 262-2022
Fax: (317) 472-0993 www.spore-tech.com
EMSL Analytical, Inc. The Evergreen Group Environmental
2001 East 52nd Street Management Group
Indianapolis, IN 46205 P.O. Box 839
Phone: 1-800-220-3675 7416 Highway 329
(317) 803-2997 Crestwood, KY 40014
http://www.emsl.com Phone: (502) 241-4171
Fax: (502) 241-4347
Additional Information on Mold & Air Quality:
- Center for Disease Control (CDC)
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- National Association of Home Builder (NAHB)
- United States Department of Labor Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)